Monday 12 July 2010

Drum roll pleeeeease........

I've just completed my first freelance job!

Yes, it was a complete surprise to me too.

On something of a ‘nothing ventured, nothing gained’ whim I responded to a SfEPLine message regarding someone who was looking for help with a dissertation. Not proofreading per se, but general improvement of writing style, academic presentation, and so forth.

I emailed ~ far too late to get the gig, I assumed (thank you, dear daughter, for refusing to go to sleep and knocking my work schedule off kilter last week).

But I got the job!

(Maybe I was the only one to pitch for it…)

It was a ‘race against time’ scenario ~ the poor flustered student was frantically typing up sections and emailing them to me at the eleventh hour. But I stuck my nose to the grindstone, for a shade short of nine hours. And I finished at 4a.m. this morning. Got to sleep at 5:50 a.m. (damn you, whirring brain). Dear daughter was up for the day at 7:30a.m. So, I’m a wee bit manic today. But I am pleased, very pleased.

Now, when people ask what I do and give me that funny ‘Really?!’ face when I tell them, I can proudly reply that I’ve already had my first paying job, thank you very much.

That’s assuming I get paid for it, of course. But that’s a whole other blog post, and one I’m sure many freelances will be able to relate to.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to share this short article about the importance of sleep for pregnant women.
    This site also offers recent research and news articles about child rearing issues, well being and health issues.
    http://www.dailyrx.com/news-article/gestational-diabetes-and-preterm-birth-associated-sleep-apnea-14055.html

    Congrats on the freelance gig!

    ReplyDelete